Monday 19 March 2012

Dent digs the London tribes...

If you have not done so already then read Grace Dent's article in last week's ES magazine titled ‘Which tribe do you belong to’ The London cliques that Dent draws up are too in tune it’s uncanny, seriously nail on the stereotype head! 


 The pivotal details are everything and after glancing through each type for my own tag line title, I re-read to digest the deets on each. Whilst I could not bring this fleet together, mainly because I’m clearly not down with the kids slash Hackney high-rollers’,  Dent's satirical spin is an example of her journalistic finesse.

 It’s scrutiny at its absolute best because as a reader I immediately recognise the components of these new fangled cliques, as will you. I read this article amidst slurps, spills and actual outcries of 'so true!!!’ in my local coffee hub. The ‘plums’ and ‘Proust’ line almost had me on the floor!



What the F do I know slash care (in a nice way) about yummy mummy matters?! Yes, I have come across the odd lactivating ladies lunch, which has not only ruined my own but also ear witnessed the all important 'baby Pilates’ and cashmere thrills and spills chat. What happened to hand me downs and a walk in the park? 

Likewise, I am streets apart from the ‘W11 literati’, not even remotely close to home owning, visiting Twat Boutique or do I have any burning desire to photograph my food...eats, shoots, leaves no?!


Buuuuut I do spy the odd self categorisation here and there: totally agreed that spare time should be spent ‘scouring eBay and the Blitz warehouse for bygone bargains’. Yes ‘the devil is in the detail’ and maybe I do kinda (defo) want to be a in the ‘Twitter-loving Londoncentric columnist’ groupy, columns being devised:

wearing a hoodie over a nightie, surrounded by coffee cups, expense receipts and dying plants...[only to] leave the house, if it’s for the matzo ball soup at Mishkin’s or gin at The Delaunay.

This was so me writing my dissertation! Fact of the matter is that these are undoubtedly a movement of 'peoples' swaggering central’s pavements right now. Is this down to society's psychotic celebrity obsession #WellJel? An inherent wealth that falls into smug laps? Or an ever present class divide that leaves the likes of Florenta ‘silent, nocturnal and habitually unacknowledged’?

No comments:

Post a Comment