Thursday 1 September 2011

Don't call me baby!

Recent headlines regarding new attempts to correct the laws of abortion have been subject to much debate. Is it not insulting that the government feel an increased counselling service will aid women to make the right choice, and ironically a pro- life one at that?

Nadine Dorries foresees that such will help to prevent the number of abortion cases in the UK each year, despite the fact that abortion has been legal in the UK since 1967?!? Of course there is nothing straightforward or slapdash about abortion but what is imperative is that the choice is OURS. Times writer Viv Groskop is spot on when she reinforces the need to 'offer women choices without moral or religious prejudice'. And there's more, because, 'who condones encouraging a woman to bear an unwanted child?' surely not Mr Cameron? No indeed, yesterday it was revealed that both Cameron and Clegg will vote against Dorries’ amendment. Wise move fellas!

Having a choice does not mean anti-life or anti-children for me it means: Hello, yes I am a person, a woman, and I need to know that I have the right to choose what I put my body through. For me the likes of abortion and child rearing for that matter, are a far off notion and yet are matters that flood my existence. Will I, won't I, would I and could I? Yes there needs to be an education around this and certainly when it comes to abortion, but I need to know that I can make a decision that is right for me without being marginalized. Just as I have the right to tattoo my body, vote in the General Election, wear this season's Bodycon, take a rung on the property ladder, fly to Ibiza on a whim, get married, get drunk and so on.

Whilst this should not be a gender issue nor is it a New Feminist rant, although perhaps a little, women’s rights do seem to be faltering at present. That said the troops are armed and ready to combat this full throttle, be it in the London Slutwalks protesting against the assumption that women should stop dressing like 'sluts' to avoid rape; or challenging the gender pay gap.
Make decisions based on your needs right here and now and if YOU want to, do so in some killer crimson lippy, fashioning something cut way above the knee...Or your pyjamas, your welly boots, your jeans and converse. Just come as you are!






1 comment:

  1. One should always celebrate the fact that we live in a society where women are encouraged and allowed to have a choice about abortion and many other 'women's issues'.
    However there are thousands of women all over the world, who today, at this very moment do not have that luxury and for that reason alone we must continue to shout loud and clear and never become complacent

    ReplyDelete