Friday 21 September 2012

More Than Moranthology



Caitlin live at the Bloomsbury Theater has been my September highlight and we're not even fully through LFW yet! Muma, sister and I laughed, welled up, lapped up and sat up in awe of this charismatic woman whose new book Moranthology is blatantly my new manual for life. I kid you not, she has confidently become my go-to for general answers and outrageous commentary on anything from humanitarianism, the pay wall debate and sweat pads.

 On stage with interviewer and friend (there were many a PJ (private joke) derived from boozy dinner parties: JEALOUS) Alex Heminsley, Caitlin is a little nervous. This is notable after she gazes across a full house of Moran groupies. Perhaps it was nerves that drove her initial urgency to be funny and foolish and fabulous at every gasp of breath, but very quickly Caitlin had us all (her knowing girls as she calls us adorers of How To Be A Woman) hanging on every line. 
What is it about this actually very normal, very intelligent woman? Well for starters exactly that, she writes insightful, beautiful, accessible columns that 'point things out'. She has an opinion and a voice that is both engaging and compelling. When we weren't transfixed by her storytelling (embellished with a lotta hilarious) we were wowed by the profound sentiment of her own beliefs and values.

Feminism, twitter, masturbation, success, family, Melody Maker and cheese were all touched upon. Then during a Smash Hits skewed Q+A session (nifty use of biscuit tin) we got to ask the ol gal herself about matters like the Olympic and Paralympic games, sex, celebrity goss to which she championed us with whirl wind answers. All of which have confirmed the fact that I must befriend her IMMEDIATELY, so that I can smuggly cross off 'dinner with Caitlin, Grace Dent and Co.' from my 'Things To Do Before I Am Thirty' list. 

If I wasn't schmoozed before hand (totally was, she had me at hello) I then picked up my Stylist copy this week and squealed at first sight of her moosh plastered all over the cover. Flicking greedily to her article feature I swooned over her wonderful words:

''We have to start feeding the trolls (The Daily Mail): feeding them with achingly polite emails and comments, reminding them of how billions of people prefer to communicate with each other, every day, in the most unregulated arena of all: courteously.''

If you have not already got your Moranthology fix, do so immediately! I have my own signed copy propped lovingly on my bedside table...ahhhhh girl crush.

No comments:

Post a Comment