Thursday 25 August 2011

One Day...


Now when I devoured this last year on holiday my interpretation of Emma was that of a blonde, scruffy, slightly plump someone whose one liners had the power to send me into raging hysterics. Willingly trouncing her own dowdy style and dodgy CV repertoire, as well as outsmarting the idiot  wannabes she comes across- yes Dexter- in effortless wonder, she is entirely captivating.  For me, she rouses the character of Jane from The L-Shaped Room who is another woman in the throes of love and loss, quick witted and just brilliant.

That is why my Emma is not Anne Hathaway, not even with a Northern accent, not even close; hence my reluctance to see the film adaptation. Not only might I be forced to pack up and dart out popcorn in arm, but it may bring back dire memories of watching the 'alternative' ending option slash US edition on the latest Pride and Prejudice DVD. Essentially because the film One Day looks far too flowery, too Hollywood, too Universal Pictures OVERKILL! Surely even Nicholls himself is thinking, along with CHA-CHING, is this really my Emma, my novel, my way?

No comments:

Post a Comment