Friday 26 August 2011

How to be a Woman...

Arse entrenching underwear, Britpop, cheese, Jilly Cooper, ket holes, misfits and library escapes. I love this book CAPITAL LETTERS. Moran's catalogue of experience growing up and living as a woman is jaw dropping and simply WOW; so much so that her colloquial scribbling truly does sock it to you. Yes I am a feminist, and yes I can give it my all! Hysterical and entirely relatable she makes our modern day insecurities as: girls, women, singles, couples, parents, professionals, friends, freaks...the list goes on...something laughable. By laughable I mean ridiculous- how could we possibly fear patriarchy, especially today, when both MEN and WOMEN can have a bash at living, loving, learning and getting it all wrong in the process.

What has compelled me, actually floored me with realisation, is Moran's fundamental line ‘Is it polite? Are the men doing it? Are the men worrying about it?' There's no preaching and no demoralising of men, they are a different species yes, but have the capacity to be less childhood fantasy, more making it work as mates...with fun extras.

I LOVE this book and have a raging appetite for the next dose. I have even found myself drifting through Waterstones looking for something that will suffice until then but just kept being drawn back to her on the shelf. Worse perhaps is my pouncing on those who pick it up to read the blurb, READ IT JUST READ IT I bellow; 'She's changed my world'. Or when I beam at those clutching it on the tube; half of me is delighting in their shared reading choice, half envious of their page turning frenzy. I have raved about it to everyone; the girls at work are taking turns with my battered copy or have impatiently bought their own. Negative feedback from the likes of that lot have been duly noted, black marked, and followed up with a regretful email or shitty Skype message.

Whilst I await my next Moran fix I have her article in The Times every Saturday and damn this broad can tweet like a trooper too (@caitlinmoran) P.S Read this article she wrote on libraries if you have a spare moment it is...I have no more words, ok then AMAZING: http://t.co/wr0VQCo






No comments:

Post a Comment