Thursday 5 July 2012

No Lady, Just A Woman: Nora Ephron


 This entry pays tribute to Nora Ephron who passed away last week aged 71. Playwright, essayist, author, on screen writer, journalist, blogger, mother, lover, feminist and out and out GEM; Ephron was a woman who sparked and steered her own successes. 

Regrettably it is only after news of her death that I have gone on to read about her life, public and private, and learnt of her works (and wit) beyond the big screen. 

Heartburn (1983) was the novel she published following the messy divorce from Watergate journalist Dan Brystein. She also has countless articles, blog posts, and essay collections such as Crazy Salad, Wallflower at the Orgy and Scribble Scribble. All of which I have purchased on amazon so that I can devour them all asap...I think I might and for this broad all over again. 




She defined popular culture and set the benchmark for CLASSIC rom-coms, When Harry Met Sally (1989) and Sleepless in Seattle (1993: co-written by Nora and her younger sister, Delia) are my all time favs, me and my sister quote from both religiously. They are the perfect antidote after a shitty day...they never fail me.


No comments:

Post a Comment