Wednesday 25 January 2012

Why, Daisy Bobbins!


 Kapow! and she’s off with the sewing intentions of Kidston herself with the all stitching, all dancing Singer machine (courtesy of Santa himself Mum and Dad, and available at all John Lewis stores). Two stiff Americanos down and six pages into the manual but what the bobbins? Seriously, what are bobbins and do they sew things up 'reel' nice?


I have gone through the instructions carefully, citing the make-up and function of the bijillion notches of my Singer. Which, by the way is proudly stood on my rackety, newly named, 'Work' desk. She (Singer) is blatantly eying me up with scepticism, laughing hysterically between my erratic foot pedalling. But I am determined to make friends and eventually arm in arm, (hands in plasters), fortunes.

Having wound my bobbin and thread my needle (without using the automatic function might I add)  I am set. Although am I? Where does the manual say 'Ok Daisy all set, leave the needle and bobbin thread trailing behind to the right...and sew, sew, sew like there's no tomorrow' ?

I would suggest that all sewing machine manufacturers compile a final checklist for user manuals, a ‘You have reached your destination’ of sewing navigation. That way it is abundantly clear when total morons like myself, completely new to these crafty, and dangerous, antics embark upon them. 


This would also save me having to badger the girls at work who, clearly brought up correctly, are innate sea mistresses. 'Ah yes of course, the upper thread tension!'...WTF?

I am yet to rid myself of an inherent intolerance to sewing, my Ma denies all knowledge.

No comments:

Post a Comment